DR. (H.C.) Martha Tilaar started Martha Tilaar Group in 1970 with one beauty salon located in her parent, Yakob Handana’s house, at Jl. Kusuma Atmaja no. 47 Menteng, Jakarta Pusat
Following is the brief journey of Martha Tilaar Group:
- 1970. Martha Tilaar commenced her business in her parents’ garage, in Menteng, Jakarta Pusat.
- 1972. Martha Tilaar opened her second beauty salon, Martha Griya Salon, in Menteng. This beauty salon is the first to offer herbal-base traditional beauty treatments. Her business had officially begun.
- 1977. PT Martina Berto established by DR. Martha Tilaar with two bussiness partners, Bernard Pranata (the late) and Theresia Harsini Setiady.
- 1977. Working together with Theresia Harsini Setiady, the founder of Kalbe Group, P.T. Martina Berto established Sariayu as a brand for beauty product and modern herbal medicine.
- 1981. PT Martina Berto built its first factory in Pulo Gadung Industrial Estate.
- 1983. PT Martina Berto built its second factory, still in Pulo Gadung Industrial Estate.
- 1983. In the same year, PT SAI Indonesia which is namely before PT Sari Ayu Indonesia was established to support PT Martina Berto in distributing cosmetics products.
- 1988-1990. PT Martina Berto produced new cosmetics brands such as Cempaka, Jamu Martina, Pesona, Biokos, Martha Tilaar, Caring Colours Martha Tilaar, dan Belia Martha Tilaar.
- 1993-1995. Acquisitions of several companies into P.T. Martina Berto.
- 1996. PT Martina Berto became the first cosmetic manufacture in Indonesia who received a quality certificate, ISO 9001.
- 1999. Martha Tilaar Group bought shares of PT Martina Berto which was originally owned by Kalbe Group in part, so that finally PT Martina Berto was fully under the management of Martha Tilaar Group.
- 2000. PT Martina Berto received ISO 14001 certificate.
- 2001-2009. PT Martina Berto created new brands for different segment of market, which are Professional Artist Cosmetics (PAC), Dewi Sri Spa, Jamu Garden, etc.
- 2010. Martha Tilaar Group entered the age of 40 years.
- 2011. PT Martina Berto became PT Martina Berto Tbk
- 2011.Martha Tilaar Group choosen to be one of 55 world company who become a member of Global Compact Lead PBB in Davos, Switzerland.
- 2012. PT Martina Berto Tbk received an award as a Pioneer in Technology from the Ministry of Industry, which was handed over by the President of Republic of Indonesia, Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono.
- 2012. PT Martina Berto Tbk received an award in Asia Responsible Entrepreneurship Awards 2012 for Green Leadership Category.
- 2013. PT Martina Berto Tbk received Corporate Image Award 2013
- 2015. Martha Tilaar Group entered the age of 45 years.
- 2015. PT Martina Berto Tbk received 1st Outstanding Corporate Innovation Award 2015.
- 2016. Dr. (H.C.) Martha Tilaar received Tanda Kehormatan Bintang Budaya Parama Dharma from Indonesia Goverment.
- 2016. PT Martina Berto Tbk received Sustainable Business Award 2016.
- 2016. PT Martina Berto Tbk received Anugerah Abyudaya 2016.
- 2016. Martha Tilaar Group received Family Business Award 2016 : "Building Family Reputation".
Today, Martha Tilaar Group consists of :
1. PT Martina Berto Tbk (marketing and manifacture company)
2. PT Cedefindo (marketing strategic planner and production)
3. PT SAI Indonesia (distribution and logistic company)
4. PT Martha Beauty Gallery (International Puspita Martha Beauty School)
5. PT Cantika Puspa Pesona (Salon and Spa Operator)
6. PT Creative Style Mandiri (advertising agency)
7. PT Kreasi Boga Primatama (human resources agency)